Don’t crack under the pressure
playMGM poker is poker how it should be – where the tables are like playing fields, and where using your wits, having skill, and keeping you cool are all important.
Our advice: take it easy, just relax. When joining a game, watch. Learn. And when it’s your turn – remember – take your time! In our POKER SCHOOL section, we provide all the information you need to play – including everything from a tutorial to poker terms and hand nicknames. Follow these instructions and watch the other players’ moves.
Have a game plan and stick to it!
The more you know, the more confident you’ll be. Before long you’ll be able to read other players’ moves like a pro. In fact, you'll probably know what they're going to do before they do! Read through our tips below and enjoy playMGM Poker!
Some hot tips from playMGM Poker
- Ask questions. Poker players are generally helpful, polite and friendly individuals.
- Know your odds. Understand the maths and you win!
- Go with your gut feeling. If you suspect you're beat, you probably are!
- Think before you act. You have some thinking time, so use it.
- Understand and learn the three basics as detailed below – starting hand value, position play and folding.
- Play poker when upset, worn out or just plain mad! Poker requires a sharp mind.
- Try to bluff everyone on the first hand. You'll probably find that it's you who ends up being bluffed.
- Play every hand. Learn to fold faster than an origami champ during speed trials!
Three basic principles for Hold'em
- Learn the importance of starting hand value The two pocket cards (or hole cards) are what separates your hand from those of the other players. Learning how to play these defines how successful you'll be. An AA (ace-ace) combo has a much better chance of winning than a 7-3 combo for example. Play good starting hands, fold bad.
- Understand your position at the table Being seated in a late position is a huge advantage, as your opponents must reveal their hand before you act. Make sure you use this advantage when it occurs. A good starting hand in an early position can often be worse than a bad hand in a late position.
- Remember: you can FOLD! No matter the betting round, if you have nothing and can't draw to anything you should fold. Swallow your pride.